Friday, October 21, 2011

today I choose to be glad.


Yesterday I was talking to my friend who went to the Chris Tomlin concert on Wednesday night. She was given a last minute opportunity to use a free ticket and I had “jokingly” whined about her good fortune since finding out. But we all know in those moments that “joking” is probably laced with some real, even if minor, jealousy. I had asked around if anyone had an extra ticket, and I was pretty bummed when I didn't end up going but somehow... I lived through it.


Last night though, after a good 24 hours of moping I said to Angela, “I’m glad for you,” and then I paused and added with a sheepish smile, “because I choose to be glad.” She mocked me a bit for my tagline and even said it was tweet worthy. But the more I thought about it, I realized I meant what I said, and that my comment rang true not just for this minor instance, but for some current situations that are a lot more life altering.


We could get into a talk about comparing... but let’s face it, we all do it, and mentally we all realize it’s not helpful or healthy. But most of us still struggle with it in one way or another because we’re human and built within our human nature is a dissatisfaction with what we have and a desire for more. We were made for more.


I’ve been asking a lot of questions lately. Some have been rooted in a desire to clean out my own heart. Others, though, have originated because I feel like I see some level of injustice in situations that very much effect me. Injustice is hard to sit with. I also think that injustice pins us right up against jealousy. And the jealousy that would love to rise up in me comes directly from a fear that at the end of the day I will not have enough.


Fear. That faithful robber of faith. A joy stealer. A liar.


This week alone that fear has caused me to question the very things that normally bring me joy. And if the enemy can get me to lose my joy.. in my job and in ministry, he’s won in more ways than I’d ever like to give him victory.


So what’s the answer? Well, yesterday my answer was to choose to be glad. Because I really am happy for my friend. If going to that concert was something I wanted to do, and if it turned out to be amazing, I should be thrilled that she got to experience it. And not just in that situation, but in some others where I get to see really great people experience new opportunities and blessings.


We as the body have the privilege and the call to rejoice with those who rejoice. What situation in your life can you choose to be glad about today? Whether it seems minor or massive, take your eyes off injustice and fear and exchange it for joy. I think you’ll be amazed at how quickly your own blessings come back into focus.


Where they should be.



my dear (and Chris Tomlin seeing) friend Angela

No comments: